Seekonk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

H1n1 vaccine

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
seek2mend

H1n1 vaccine Empty
PostH1n1 vaccine

I was asked advice whether I thought my grandkids should be vaccinated. From what I have read and heard, the area schools are trying to get a head count.

Any thoughts, since I did not feel secure in going this one alone Neutral
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

H1n1 vaccine :: Comments

Dave
Re: H1n1 vaccine
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 am  Dave
I've been following this one closely. They recommend the kids get a flu shot first and take the 2nd (H1) shot when it becomes available sometime in October. My kids already had the flu shot and you can have it done at the Y. If you have Blue Cross there is no fee.

We are long overdue for this type of incident and IMHO it is not something to mess around with.
mkreyssig
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:30 pm  mkreyssig
I haven't decided on the H1N vaccine for the kids yet. They will most certainly not be the first in line. Three words "Guillain-Barre Syndrome".

Furthermore thanks to the 2006 Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act the DHHS has the ability to wave any liability these drug companies have if they in fact do put out a bad vaccine.
Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:52 am  seek2mend
This will be one of the few times I will have to tell my kids they're on their own. The last thing a grandparent wants to do is make those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" decisions. Been there, done that.

I suggested they should talk to the pediatrician, find out who is manufacturing the vaccine and what other countries are doing.

The United States is not the envy of other nations that we use to be. I would hate to think we are the laboratory for an under-tested vaccine.
mkreyssig
Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:28 am  mkreyssig
yeah....we sent the note back saying we were interested, but I think if they do end up getting it, it will be at the Doctors office.

I don't usually get the seasonal flu shot either, but I will this year, just in case I do come down with the flu, at least I will know which one I have! Smile
mkreyssig
Post Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:27 pm  mkreyssig
This is still under review, but if correct adds a new twist. The link goes to a CBC article where doctors are discussing their findings that getting the seasonal flu vaccination could actually increase your risk of getting the swine flu, and questions the order that you should recieve the vaccinations.

Article
Dave
Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 am  Dave
Well we now have our Flu shots, just waiting for the H1 to arrive...

I was always one to skip Flu shots and often caught Bronchitis relying on the safety net of anti-biotics to tame it. In spring 2008 something new happened. I was fairly out of shape and outside coaching in the raw weather. Bronchitis came and I got my anti-biotics. Well a week later and I was still hurting. A 2nd round of stronger anti-biotics followed. Now my breathing was diminishing. I was diagnosed with Pneumonia. It scared the crap out of me. I had shots galore and had to use an emergency room breathing machine three times that spring. The only remedy was two months of staying crawled in a ball. I had never faced not being able to breath and not having a medicine to get rid of it. People tell you all the time that they have Asthma...well I tell you that you have no idea what they are going through until this happens to you.

What does this have to do with H1? The lesson I learned was that you have to stay in shape and do everything that you have to do to AVOID getting hit with one of these bugs. Once it gets into you there is little that can be done but let it run it's course. This past winter was the first one in memory where I did not develop Bronchitus. I got my shot early, I stayed in shape, and practiced defensive minded steps like avoiding a handshake or applying germ killer after one.

I share this with everyone becuase I do not want you to go through what I had too.

Article on H1N1- respect this bug!

H1N1- the FACTS
terrybohax
Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:37 pm  terrybohax
FYI.. the Newman Y was hosting walk-in clinics for seasonal flu shots but apparently they have run out and Sat's clinic was cancelled. Call in advance if you are planning on going there.
Dave
Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:52 am  Dave
It might be piecemeal but some shots are becoming available. Be patient because there does not appear to be any method to the madness of the state system.

RI seems to have their act together compared to Mass on this issue.
mkreyssig
Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:54 am  mkreyssig
Wendy - I saw a commercial on TV Yesterday "faces of the Flu" it was an public services announcement outlining the high risk people who would need a flu vaccination. Asthma was definitely in the criteria.

However....and I thought this was odd...during the last 5 seconds of the commercial print was flashing on the bottom saying "seasonal flu only" That really did not make sense to me at all.

Then to top it off, 3 segments later on the news cycle it was reported that H1N1 deaths so far are triple what the "authorities" expected them to be. That, and CDC is saying that the seasonal flu it pretty much nonexistent so far this year, and that anyone who is displaying flu symptoms most likely has H1N1

Anyway...back to your son, it seems that H1N1 really causes respiratory problems. So I would maybe call some people and make some noise...
Dave
Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:57 pm  Dave
Like I said earlier we are a mess compared to RI. We are only getting limited amounts at a time. I can say that I am confident that the Super is taking this issue very seriously and that it is being given to the highest needs as it becomes available. I will stress that the real issue here is what is going on at the state level???

I too am stuck like most with RI Docs for my kids, but in a Mass school- so I am SOL...
mkreyssig
Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:25 pm  mkreyssig
My son had his physical today...and wouldn't you know it, the they H1N1 vaccines. Mind you have been calling weekly to find out when they were getting them and they have never said that they have them I guess they are keeping it under wraps. So my son got his today, and my daughter will be getting hers tomorrow.
Dave
Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:37 pm  Dave
Quote :
Please get this out to all of your parents today! Thank you!

To all the Parents and Guardians,

On November 30th the Seekonk School Department will complete our H1N1 Clinics with Medically Fragile Students. The School Department's intent was to run a "lottery" as more H1N1 vaccine arrived in Seekonk. The Seekonk Board of Heath Department has opposed our plan for distribution and have taken over the ownership of these clinics with the Public Health Nurse. They have assured me that they will begin their clinics in early December. Please address all questions to the Seekonk Board of Health at 508-366- 2950.

Madeline P. Meyer

Ok...I am happy for those of you whose kids got their shots. RI is about done and moving on to college kids...Seekonk? Well...it seems that the "my little fiefdom" complex/mentality has yet again kicked into high gear. It is bad enough that things are so screwed up at the state level- but now it looks like we have to play games at the local level too. Hey, maybe there will be enough shots and enough chest thumpers screaming, "I am in charge!", so that my kids get their shots in before next summer.

-ranting

d
mkreyssig
Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:03 pm  mkreyssig
Yeah....I don't understand this. My son has been getting notices home since the first day of school regarding clinics taking place in the school.

Is the BOH's issue with the school overseeing it, or is the issue with the lottery? If's its the latter, what do they intend to do? Go in alphabetical order? Do they even have the personnel to handle this?

And who/what the heck is a public health nurse? I was not aware we had one of those on staff.
Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:04 pm  seek2mend
One of my grandchildren already had an illness with all the suspected symptoms of H1n1. But parents are still advised to get the shot.

Just when you thought it was safe Rolling Eyes
Dave
Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:09 pm  Dave
This is just wrong on so many levels but it does fairly sum up our current efforts...

[img]H1n1 vaccine Swine10[/img]
Dave
Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 am  Dave
Looks like we should be in great shape now...

Quote :
To the editor:

The school nurses in Seekonk were highly insulted and disappointed by your recent article on H1N1 clinics, which was woefully lacking in facts. Please consider the following:

The school nurses were contacted by the Seekonk Board of Health who requested we become H1N1 vaccine providers for the town. It then became the responsibility of the school nurses to order the vaccine from the State and develop a plan for administration. The nurses donated their time and supplies for the clinics and enlisted town volunteers to assist them. The Board of Health neither articulated a plan or volunteered to assist, nor visited any of the clinics to see how they were being run.

Naturally, if the school nurses were distributing the vaccine, the targeted population would be school–aged children. All Seekonk school–aged children were eligible to receive the vaccine and were to be included in the lottery. Children below school age were able to get vaccinated at their pediatricians, whereas school–age children were told to go to their school clinics. If the Board of Health wanted other populations served, it was their lack of foresight or planning that left out these populations, not that of the school nurses.

There is a limited supply of H1N1 vaccine being distributed by the State. We distributed all that was provided as soon as it was available. The article incorrectly stated we distributed vaccine to “only” 100 students. Following the recommendation of the CDC, we vaccinated 250 medically fragile students first. Seekonk students with disabilities who were placed out-of-district were also included. The article stated that 100 students were immunized at the first BOH clinic, when in fact only 38 children received the vaccine, leaving approximately 90 doses available, but not given to children.

The suggestion that we are gambling with the health of children who we care for on a daily basis is particularly insulting. The lottery system was set up as a way of being fair to all and to prevent any accusation of favoritism. We knew there was a shortage of vaccine and that the demand would exceed the supply. There needed to be a way of scheduling the distribution that was equitable. It was on this basis that the lottery system was developed. The Board of Health’s system of having people call in and be put on a list on a first come first served basis is no less random.

The Board of Health asked for our assistance. We did our best to serve the needs of the students in a fair, professional, and reasonable manner. At every turn, the Board of Health insisted on projecting their power. They have shown disrespect for our sincere effort to serve the children of Seekonk. In the end, they took over the process and are distributing the vaccine on their terms.

Patricia Rok

Advertisement
RN-Seekonk High School

Carolyn Manlove

RN-Hurley Middle School

Deborah Bostian

RN-Aitken Elementary School

Lisa McLintock

RN-Martin Elementary School
Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:49 am  seek2mend
Dave,

Since the letter does not reference the article(s) or source of the article, I have no idea what the nurses are so angry about. Apparently, they feel the BOH was stepping on their toes. It seems once again we are getting into that town side/school side mentality that near destroyed this town not too long ago.

Secondly, are all these nurses full-time? Does each school need a full time nurse? Are they mandated?
Dave
Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:33 pm  Dave
Seek,

The source is the Seekonk Star.

Here is the Health Dept. article and how this became no longer about the kids...to date none of my kids have had the shot nor do I have any idea when they will become elegible. As a parent I find this quite frustrating.

As for Nurses to my knowlege they are all full time. However it is not like when you or I went to school, there are so many health issues with kids these days that it is a full time industry. Allergies alone is a huge issue. I am not ure what the legal obligation is.

Somehow RI managed to get all of their shots taken care of through the school systems...I guess the seekonk Health Department has a better way of doing things- just don't look for it on TV anytime soon.

Quote :
Board of Health takes over H1N1 clinics
Not in favor of the school department’s “lottery” proposal, board of health will run all future H1N1 clinics By George Morse

SEEKONK - There will be no H1N1 lottery in Seekonk.

After taking control of all upcoming H1N1 vaccination clinics, the Seekonk Board of Health has done away with a “lottery” system proposed by the school department in late November. According to school superintendent Madeline P. Meyer, the lottery system was intended to be a “fair and equitable” way to distribute vaccines as they become available.

So far, the only Seekonk students to receive their shots were about 100 children designated “medically fragile,” the last of which were vaccinated on Monday, Nov. 30.

At first, health agent Beth Hallal said she was in agreement with the school department’s strategy of treating the medically fragile kids before anyone else. The lottery system, however, was a different story for both Ms. Hallal and the board of health.

“To me, the lottery idea is the same as if you’re going to Twin River and gambling and when you’re drawing names for a health issue that’s the wrong way to go,” said board of health chairman Al Smith. “You have to do it on the need. A lottery is just random, there’s no specific direction. I just think it’s the wrong place to apply it.”

Under the lottery system proposal, Ms. Meyer said parent-signed permission slips were set to be separated by each of the district’s four schools – Aitken and Martin Elementary, Hurley Middle and Seekonk High School. Once it was learned how many vaccines the school department would be receiving, the same percentage of permission slips would then be pulled randomly from each school.

On Tuesday of last week, Ms. Meyer and another school department administration member went to meet with health agent Beth Hallal to hold the first lottery drawing. At the time, Ms. Hallal told The Star she already knew the board of health wasn’t in favor of the idea. Described by Ms. Meyer as a “compromise,” the two eventually drew names of elementary school students only, 140 in total with 70 from each school.

“I knew my board wasn’t going to go for it. But I said we could do it anyway,” Ms. Hallal said.

After the names had been drawn, Mr. Smith arrived at the meeting and before the end of the day Wednesday, Ms. Meyer had issued a statement saying the board of health had “taken ownership” of the clinics.

“I’ve been trying very hard to work with town people, the selectmen, the health department, [town administrator] Mr. Carroll. I feel if we can work together that’s for the benefit, not only of the schools, but for the entire town and for the betterment of the entire school district … We thought this was a nice way to bridge the chasm between the health department and the school department,” Ms. Meyer said.

Prior to meeting with Ms. Hallal last Tuesday, Ms. Meyer said she hadn’t heard much from the board of health about a plan to continue the H1N1 vaccination clinics. On the other side of the argument, Ms. Hallal said she had to find out about the lottery idea from a notice left on her desk.

Additionally, Ms. Hallal said the school department’s lottery idea didn’t address Seekonk children who are either too young to attend school or attend schools outside of town.

On Wednesday, Dec. 2, the board of health held its first H1N1 clinic from town hall, vaccinating about 100 children over 3 and under 6. Ms. Hallal said children in this age range were selected because they are most at risk to contract the illness. Going forward, Ms. Hallal said vaccinating from youngest to oldest will continue to be the strategy.

Unlike the lottery system, spots at the board of health clinics will be given out on a first come first serve basis, with a special telephone line set up just for clinic appointments.

The latest scuffle between the school department and board of health is the second one in less than two months. In October, the two sides traded press releases after the school department said there had been “confirmed” H1N1 cases in Seekonk schools while the board of health said there were only “assumed” cases.

Ms. Hallal said it was right about this time that communication started to breakdown between the two sides.

“I want us to get along. I just don’t understand it,” Ms. Hallal said. “It’s just said because we are here for the children. Neither the board of health or school department is bound to do this.”

Since her meeting with Ms. Hallal, Ms. Meyer said she has not received any additional information or been contacted in anyway by Ms. Hallal or the board of health.
Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:31 pm  seek2mend
Thanks, Dave.

Correct me if I am wrong. George Morse is the Seekonk Star reporter?
I rarely get that paper anymore.

I read through the article and see no mention of the nurses. This seems to be an administrative dispute. Maybe I am wrong. And I do not understand why the nurses are taking the Star and the reporter to task. Are they offended they were not consulted? Nurse Ratchet comes to mind.

As for the nurses donating time, why? They are full time. I don't think they are running emergency rooms. Couldn't the distribution of any vaccines be done during school hours?

At this rate, I might just start missing Dr Cheverette! Wink
Dave
Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:22 pm  Dave
Well as you know I am not a big fan of the whole us vs. them thing because I think both sides lose in that scenario- that said the Nurses were the ones who set up the clinics. The only reason for a lottery was because we were not receiving enough vaccine - a whole other story. I think as their letter implies that they were offended by the lottery being compared to gambling. They were trying to do the best that they could under trying conditions and I am sure that the Health Dept. could have handled things better.

At this point my concern is as a parent- when can we get our shots???

I would rather not read any of this stuff through a newspaper but everyone has a right to speak out. I just want the shots Wink
Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:35 pm  seek2mend
Dave wrote:
Well as you know I am not a big fan of the whole us vs. them thing because I think both sides lose in that scenario-

I would rather not read any of this stuff through a newspaper but everyone has a right to speak out. I just want the shots Wink

I hear ya, Dave. It is an embarrassment. You would think after all the
pre-planning along with emergency/ pandemic drills these folks would be able to handle this relatively minor bump in the road.

May as well recruit the Keystone Cops!!!

Ha Ha Ha!
terrybohax
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:23 pm  terrybohax
Quote :
FLU OUTBREAK 2009:Demand for swine flu vaccine in Mass. wanes
AP

Story Created: Dec 16, 2009 at 12:15 PM EST

Story Updated: Dec 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM EST

BOSTON (AP) - When the swine flu vaccine was first shipped to
Massachusetts, it was in such short supply that long lines formed
at public clinics and health officials limited it to those most at
risk.

Now, a glut of the vaccine in some places combined with waning
interest in receiving it, may prompt health officials to make it
available to anyone.

State Public Health Commissioner John Auerbach tells The Boston
Globe that could mean flu-shot clinics set up at area grocery and
department stores. His agency is expected to decide Wednesday when
to make the vaccine more broadly available.

Health officials say with the swine flu's second wave in retreat
and the holidays approaching, patients may no longer have a sense
of urgency about being vaccinated.

Auerbach says that is concerning.

They just covered this on ABC6 news at 6 pm. A glut of the vaccine in some places?? Waning interest???Are you kidding me? I won't even tell you what I have been through in RI and MA to TRY to get my college aged kid a H1N1 shot. Mad If there is a glut they better get it to Seekonk where there is PLENTY of interest.

If you hear a bloodcurdling scream in Seekonk, it's just me going insane with this state!
terrybohax
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:31 am  terrybohax
From the Sun Chronicle this morning:

Quote :
SEEKONK - The board of health will hold a H1N1 flu clinic for the town's children ages four to 18. The clinic will be held on Dec. 29 and will be by appointment only.

Contact the board of health at 508-336-2909 to schedule an appointment. All children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

The board of health will only contact people for appointments as long is there is vaccine available. Once all the vaccine has been distributed, individuals will be placed on a waiting list and will be contacted when more vaccine becomes available.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:19 pm  seek2mend
terrybohax wrote:
From the Sun Chronicle this morning:

Quote :
SEEKONK - The board of health will hold a H1N1 flu clinic for the town's children ages four to 18. The clinic will be held on Dec. 29 and will be by appointment only.

Contact the board of health at 508-336-2909 to schedule an appointment. All children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

The board of health will only contact people for appointments as long is there is vaccine available. Once all the vaccine has been distributed, individuals will be placed on a waiting list and will be contacted when more vaccine becomes available.

So what happened to all the parental permission notices that were sent home by the schools in September/October? I grappled with giving my advice regarding my grandchildren! Have parents been made aware of the change in procedure and venue? Or are the kids once again going to be used as pawns in the "Us vs Them" warfare?

And let's not forget about the recall on the ineffective vaccine. That alone may account for the glut.
Post   Sponsored content

H1n1 vaccine

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next