H1n1 vaccine - Page 2

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.
HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

Share | 

H1n1 vaccine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
seek2mend

PostH1n1 vaccine

I was asked advice whether I thought my grandkids should be vaccinated. From what I have read and heard, the area schools are trying to get a head count.

Any thoughts, since I did not feel secure in going this one alone Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Similar topics

-
» Pier Solar HD discussion
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

H1n1 vaccine :: Comments

Re: H1n1 vaccine
Post on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:01 am  terrybohax
NORTH ATTLEBORO

Public Health Nurse Anne Marie Fleming said the seasonal flu vaccination will be available to any Massachusetts resident while the H1N1 flu vaccination will be available to anyone.
The flu clinic will be held on Jan. 2 at North Attleboro High School from 1 to 4 p.m. No advanced sign-up is necessary.

The clinic will also serve as practice for the town's emergency medical dispensary procedures, so Fleming is seeking volunteers interested in helping out with the clinic. While the flu has been on the wane, Fleming urged residents who have not yet been vaccinated to do so.

"The disease itself has diminished but we are anticipating seeing it come back," Fleming said. "We don't want people to get complacent."

Fleming said this won't be the only opportunity for local residents to get the flu vaccine as another large clinic will likely be held near the end of January.

The town has a good supply of both vaccines and has already used some for individuals in high-risk categories, including pregnant women, caregivers and medical personnel. In addition, the school department's nurses have been vaccinating children as well.

The health department is seeking volunteers willing to help out - particularly doctors and nurses, but also volunteers to help pass out papers and direct people in line. Volunteer trainings will be held prior to the event.

Anyone interested in volunteering can contact Fleming by calling 508-699-0104 or by e-mailing amfleming@north-attleboro.ma.us.
Post on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:21 pm  Dave
Quote :
So what happened to all the parental permission notices that were sent home by the schools in September/October? I grappled with giving my advice regarding my grandchildren! Have parents been made aware of the change in procedure and venue? Or are the kids once again going to be used as pawns in the "Us vs Them" warfare?

Those slips became irrelevant when the health Dept. took over. One can presume they have their own forms. If you scroll up you will see that parents were notified back in November. Not sure what else the school department could do besides notify all parents of the change and direct them where to go.

Terry glad to see the one in NA is open to all and you don't have to book an appointment.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

d
Post on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:47 am  terrybohax
I would like to know the formula for allocating H1N1 vaccine in MA. Apparently many physicians in some parts of the state have it and there is a low demand. N.Attleboro, whose population is about double that of Seekonk, claims to have a good enough supply to vaccinate ANYONE, not even requiring MA residency.

I doubt Seekonk is sitting on a secret supply so how is it that we don't have enough to vaccinate even high-risk 18-24 and adults yet?

To me, this is a foreshadowing of allocating health care through a national system and for Seekonk I don't see it working well. I am also quite ticked off about my RI Primary care dr. who could not give me the vaccine because I am not a RI resident. Those Dept of Health rules should be changed; if you are a patient of a RI pediatrician or internist and they have the vaccine, then you should be able to receive it. And vice versa for RI patients of MA drs.

The same thing happened about 10 years ago when there was a shortage of tetanus and our RI dr. had it but would not dispense to a Seekonk child even though required for school.

After all, we work and shop all the time in RI. If we have the flu and cough or sneeze, those germs don't care where their new victims live.
Post on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:52 pm  seek2mend
Dave wrote:

Those slips became irrelevant when the health Dept. took over.

d

I am not ready to lay the blame on the health department. And I know you are not into the Us vs Them mentality, Dave.

Did the health department execute a "TAKE OVER" or did they just make a grave mistake by assigning the school nurses with the distribution Question
Post on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:34 pm  Dave
I think the issue was aggravated by the lack of shots. If the structure, plan, and quantity for the clinics were available like was offered in RI then I don't think we would have the natural tension of a parent being unable to get a shot for their child.

My understanding is the Health Dept. did not like the lottery system for non-critical students. With only a fraction of the shots needed some sort of system needed to be implemented. The HD implemented their own system and that is where things are at the moment.

The lottery would have afforded the flexibility needed as different quantities arrived. The HD method waits until enough shots have been gathered and then a date is set.

As a parent I would want the shot sooner than later and I do not think shots should be sitting unused until a designated date. With a lottery if 25 shots came in they could be adminstered the next day, etc.

d
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:14 am  terrybohax
I agree that a lottery to dispense shots when only a small lot comes in is better than holding back the vaccine until enough comes in for everyone, especially when you are talking about the entire school population.

Does anyone know what Art Foulkes is talking about on his cable show, where he is claiming that a Seekonk school nurse gave a H1N1 vaccine, intended for a child, to an administrator? He was extremely agitated about it and really gunning for this nurse.
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:32 am  Dave
I have not heard of anything like that, though I do enjoy watching the show for the entertainment value Laughing
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:00 pm  seek2mend
Terry, I also watched Art Foulkes. If Mrs Bostian has a problem with what he accused her of doing, NOW is the time to write a letter to the editor.

Dave, I know many parents want their children to get that shot. But I have heard that once the health department took over, first responders were moved to the top of the list. As an East Providence police officer, did you receive yours from that city?
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:14 pm  mkreyssig
For future reference the HD should have continued using the Schools as their method for communicating with the town on when and where and how to get the vaccines. Posting notices in newspapers that...let's be frank...hardly anyone reads...is not going to get the word out to concerned parents.

I don't really have an opinion on who had the better plan (SD or HD) but the school department wins the communication award hands down, and that is probably the most important aspect when it comes to public health issues.
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:36 pm  seek2mend
mkreyssig wrote:
For future reference the HD should have continued using the Schools as their method for communicating with the town on when and where and how to get the vaccines. Posting notices in newspapers that...let's be frank...hardly anyone reads...is not going to get the word out to concerned parents.

I don't really have an opinion on who had the better plan (SD or HD) but the school department wins the communication award hands down, and that is probably the most important aspect when it comes to public health issues.

I think if you were to ask people who do not have children in the school system they would disagree with you, hands down.

Obviously, the school department should be utilized to get information to as many citizens as possible. But not all citizens have children in the public schools.

Keeping this in mind, the health department should be proactive in this age of information to create a message alert system.
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:36 pm  terrybohax
The Public Health Nurse is advising Seekonk residents to watch the local cable channel for announcements of H1N1 clinics.

So, if you don't have kids in school and you don't have Comcast cable, you are really out of the loop.

I will be very interested to see the turnout at the North Attleboro clinic.
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:41 pm  terrybohax
From Board of Health website:

Quote :
H1N1 Vaccine

SEEKONK BOARD OF HEALTH ANNOUNCES AN H1N1 FLU CLINIC FOR SEEKONK RESIDENTS ONLY

The Seekonk Board of Health will have an HIN1 Flu clinic on Tuesday December 29, 2009, from 12:30pm until the vaccine runs out. Please do not arrive early, you will not be allowed into the clinic prior to 12:30pm. .

The criteria for obtaining an H1N1 flu vaccine at this clinic are as follows:

You must between the ages of 4-24
Children ages 4-9 who need a second vaccine (must bring proof of vaccine 28 days prior to 29th of December

ALL CHILDREN MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A PARENT OR GUARDIAN

THERE IS A LIMITED AMOUNT OF VACCINE AVAILABLE

The clinic will take place at Johnson & Wales 213 Taunton Avenue, Seekonk, MA

If you have any questions you can contact the Seekonk Board of Health at 508-336-2950.
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:14 pm  Dave
Quote :
Dave, I know many parents want their children to get that shot. But I have heard that once the health department took over, first responders were moved to the top of the list. As an East Providence police officer, did you receive yours from that city?

Interesting question. I only was notified 2 days ago of two clinics for 1st responders and both are over the holiday week. Why I find this interesting is that I worked two H1N1 clinics as security and was informed that the people administering the shot had not been vaccinated affraid I would have thought that at least they would get the first doses since they were exposed to all of the kids.

On communications- I think it is a given that the SD would be in the best position to administer to the school population. The HD would be in a better position to handle those outside of the schools (adults, college).

My only hope is that a better system is devised.
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:20 pm  Dave
Whoa...I just re-read that latest posting from the HD- does this mean the appointment idea is quashed??? The way that reads there is no structure- everyone piles in before the shots run out.....please tell me I am mis-reading this!

The ones I worked had it broken down over each hour by age so that there was order.
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:00 pm  seek2mend
I don't know if you answered my question, Dave. Did you or were you offered the H1n1 vaccine through the East Prov PD? And wouldn't you agree that a state should give authority to local health departments regarding such health issues?.

As for your second posting, I believe there are appointments prior to the 12:30PM open clinic. That is why they specify that anyone who did not sign up should not arrive prior to 12:30. After that time, vaccines are first come first serve.
Post on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:36 pm  Dave
I did answer your question- I stated that I was only notified 2 days ago that I could now get the shot as a 1st responder. It would be through Miriam and I do not know which responders are included in the group, besides EPPD. I do not know if 1st responders in Mass have their shots yet.

I need clarification on the second statement- state giving control to local Health Boards- I was under the impression that this is already how it works? In RI it was organized by the state and run through the schools.
Post on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:44 am  seek2mend
Dave wrote:
I did answer your question- I stated that I was only notified 2 days ago that I could now get the shot as a 1st responder. It would be through Miriam and I do not know which responders are included in the group, besides EPPD. I do not know if 1st responders in Mass have their shots yet.

I need clarification on the second statement- state giving control to local Health Boards- I was under the impression that this is already how it works? In RI it was organized by the state and run through the schools.

Sorry, Dave. You did answer my question.

As for my second question, I think it is best if the Health Department has the authority to prioritize distribution of vaccines and other public health needs. Under any given circumstance they can determine if it is best to serve all children before any adults.

They are also in a better position to determine if it is best to prioritize first responders and others who may come in close contact with the general public.
If the schools are given the authority, they are expected to innoculate ALL the children before anyone else gets served, regardless of risk.

I think the Health Department may have made a mistake in this instance by handing the responsibility over to the schools from the get go.
Post on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:36 pm  mkreyssig
I think part of the problem for everyone is that there is still no real clarity on who the "high risk" people are outside of the obvious (compromised immune systems).

Back in October and earlier the government said it was so dangerous that they were ordering 190+ million vaccinations that would be ready in October. Giving the impression that we were all at risk. While 190 million can't vaccinate everyone, it would most likely give a chance at achieving herd immunity.

It seems since the government has failed at getting the amount of vaccines they have said they were getting in that time frame, that they have downplayed the threat of this disease.

Having said that, the uncertainty of a situation is going to lead to a lot of miscommunication, misinformation...etc etc.

Right now the Swine Flu fact sheet on the Seekonk Board of Health page is so out of date that it states there is no vaccine for the H1N1 virus. They should at the very least, update that and place whatever the CDC or the DOH is stating are the people who need the vaccine the most.
Post on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:56 pm  terrybohax
I am so-o-o-o wild. I just heard that the response to the open clinic was slow and they had a good bit of unused vaccine on hand. Some people older than 24 said they had seen the clinic advertised as open to all ages, so they got the shot. Some saw it advertised as only up to 18 or 24 years old only. Apparently calls went out to police, fire and town employees to come get the vaccine if they wanted it so it would not go to waste.

In hindsight, wouldn't it have been better for the Seekonk BOH to have compiled a waiting list and have it on hand with names and phone numbers of adults who wanted the vaccine, so they could call those residents and get at least some of them over there?

This lack of leadership and communication is appalling.
Post on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:27 pm  terrybohax
On the web, Wal-green's is showing that they have the H1N1 vaccine in their RI stores. I'm going to try the North Attleboro clinic first and then try Wal-green's if NA runs out on Sat.
Post on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:45 pm  seek2mend
Terry: I agree. There is no reason why a taxpaying, voting adult should be ignored and so blatantly disrespected. What a shame.

Let's hope they all get their act together.
Post on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:25 am  terrybohax
From the Chronicle: Check before driving to NA on Sat:

Quote :
NORTH ATTLEBORO - The health department is keeping an eye on the weather and will make a decision today about whether to postpone Saturday's H1N1 and seasonal flu prevention clinic due to the snowstorm.

"Saturday's weather is expected to be at least 'messy,' but we're hoping it won't be so bad as to require cancellation of the flu clinic in its entirety that day," said Health Agent Bob Davis.

Davis said that the health department will check the forecast and make a final decision on whether the flu clinic should be postponed by close of business on Thursday.

Weather permitting, the clinic will be held on Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m. at the North Attleboro High School.

Anyone 6-months of age or older will be able to receive H1N1 vaccine free of charge while supplies last. In addition, a limited amount of seasonal flu vaccine will also be available to Massachusetts residents at the clinic. For this year's clinic, North Attleboro's Health Department has enough H1N1 vaccine for more than 1,000 flu shots. The flu clinic will also serve as a training exercise to test the community's preparedness plans for a large scale public health emergency.

As a result, volunteers from the Bristol-Norfolk Medical Reserve Corps and the community will be assisting to keep the clinic running quickly and courteously.

Additional information on the H1N1 and seasonal flu, flu prevention efforts, or flu clinics elsewhere in Massachusetts is available on the Massachusetts Department of Public Health Web site at www.mass.gov/dph or by calling 866-627-7968.

The Sun Chronicle will post an announcement on its Web site once a decision about the status of the clinic is made by the town's health department.
Sat. Jan 30 Flu Clinic
Post on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:44 pm  terrybohax
From the BOH:

H1N1 & SEASONAL FLU VACCINE CLINIC

BOARD OF HEALTH

A free vaccination clinic for Seekonk

Residents and Town Employees

Date: January 30, 2010

Time: 9:00am – 1:00pm

Place: JOHNSON & WALES

213 Taunton Avenue, Seekonk, MA 02771

All vaccines will be provided at the upcoming clinic free of charge to all Seekonk Residents. The seasonal flu vaccine for residents 18 years of age and older.

No appointments are necessary for this clinic. Please park in the back lot and come in where the banquet rooms are.

Vaccination is the most effective way to protect you and your loved one for the flu.
Post   Sponsored content

H1n1 vaccine

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Seekonk Talks :: Local Seekonk Topics-
Jump to:  

Free phpbb forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum