Seekonk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

...Article 20...Green Initiative

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave
Admin
Admin
Dave

...Article 20...Green Initiative Empty
Post...Article 20...Green Initiative

To see if the Town will vote to request that the Board of Selectmen, the School Committee, other Town Boards, CommissionS, and Committees, and Town ern~pIOYe~5 pursue the goal of meeting the five (5) criteria for qualifying as a Green Community to make the T~wn eligible for grants and loans, as provided for in the Green Communities Act of 2008. We further request that the Board of Selectmen and School Committee report on progress toward this goal at the next two Annual Town Meetings.

The five criteria are as follows:

1. Provide for the as~of-right siting of renewable or alternative energy generath~g facilities, renewable or alternative energy research and development facilities, or renewable or alternative energy ~anufacturiflg facilities in designated locations.

2. Adopt an expedited application and permitting process under which these energy facilities may be sited within the municipalitY and which shalt not ~ceed 1 year from the date of Initial’ap~liCati0flt0 the date of final approval.

3. Establish an energy use baseline inventàry for municipal buildings, vehicles, street and traffic lighting, and put in place a comprehensive program designed to reduce this baseline, in the aggregate, by 20 percent within 5 years of initial participation in the program.

4. Purchase only fuel-efficient vehicles for municipal use whenever such vehicles are commercially available and practicable. Heavy duty vehicles such as fire trucks, ambulances and public works trucks are exempt from this criterion. Police cruisers are exemPt from the criterion. HOweVer, municipalities must commit to purchasing fuel efficient cruisers when they become commercially available. Police department administrative vehicles must meet fuel efficient requirements.

5. Require all new residential construction over 3,000 square feet and all new commercial and industrial real estate construction to minimize, to the extent feasible1 the life-cycle cost of the facility by utilizing energy efficiency, water conservation and other renewable or alternative new technologies.
Submitted by: Citizen Petition
Back to top Go down
https://seekonktalks.forumotion.net
Share this post on: reddit

...Article 20...Green Initiative :: Comments

Re: ...Article 20...Green Initiative
Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:40 pm  tombenoit
My main question here is - at what cost? This is all like mom and apple pie - but - there is always a cost. I can just see a new position just to monitor this. It won't matter how much more a vehicle costs - it is says GREEN, we gotta get it. ALl other logic is irrelevant. A perfect example is the fuel efficient vehicles. When fuel efficient vehicles becomes commercially available (who gets to decide), we must buy them. Even if their maintenance and langevity does not make them viable. There are more questions than answers here - but - it would make a requirement out of it.
mkreyssig
Re: ...Article 20...Green Initiative
Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:34 pm  mkreyssig
Yeah...I've been on the fence with this one. I was cose to supporting it, but now am leaning against for some of the same reasons you mentioned Tom.

Also it is misleading to say that this is a non-binding warrant article, because passing it gives everyone the green light to go ahead and start changing the requirements for building codes etc etc...

And yes there are more questions than answers. Every time I have broached the subject of cost with any of the supporters of this article I get the stock answer of "In the long run it will save jobs"....blah blah.

And frankly I think that where the Town and School department can make changes that affect the efficiency of buildings and vehicles...they are doing it...without a non binding mandate. We are not Taunton, or Worcester, or Natick. Our biggest "carbon footprint" is caused by school buses and fire trucks which are excluded from this legislation.

...Article 20...Green Initiative

Page 1 of 1