Seekonk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

Town meeting responses favorable to town

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tombenoit
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Town meeting responses favorable to town Empty
PostTown meeting responses favorable to town

Today's Sun had an article about the 'great' results from the survey available at the town meeting (see below). I am suprised that the BOS was so thrilled with the results. Buried in the article is the fact that there were only 21 turned in. Sure hope the BOS, FinComm, department heads, and SC did not turn any in - that would have pretty much been all of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY JOSEPH S. SIEGEL FOR THE SUN CHRONICLEThursday, June 25, 2009 2:58 AM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEEKONK - The majority of respondents in a recent survey ranked the town favorably, Town Administrator Michael Carroll says.

The survey was distributed to participants at the June 18 town meeting. Respondents were asked to rank the quality of life in Seekonk, and to list their concerns and priorities.

"The people who responded generally enjoy Seekonk as a place to live," Carroll told selectmen Wednesday. "They enjoy living here."

Public safety, preserving open space and maintaining the quality of the public school system rated as top priorities.

Carroll said he would share the results with department heads, who can work to improve the services they provide. Carroll was disappointed with the lack of response to the survey: Only 21 residents took the time to complete the survey and return it to town hall.

Carroll said he hopes for greater participation in the future.

Selectman David Parker said the survey was a good idea, noting the feedback from residents was welcomed.

Selectman Michael Brady wanted the survey to include business owners, who can offer their own opinions of the town.

"We owe it to them to see what their concerns are," Brady said.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Town meeting responses favorable to town :: Comments

Dave
Re: Town meeting responses favorable to town
Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:32 am  Dave
In this day and age residents should be able to complete the survey online, directly on the town site. I will say that I have learned a lot about the fiscal aspect of the town in the past three months and in general I fell very positive.

I see our reliance of only 8% of our budget in state aid as prudent. As you look at communities around us I think you can conclude that there is a major downside to relying on state aid.

I think that their can sometimes be a disconnect between residents and elected officials when it comes to technology...not sure if it is a generational thing.
mkreyssig
Re: Town meeting responses favorable to town
Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:13 pm  mkreyssig
Yeah....I read an article not that long ago about the different generations in the workplace and how technology divides them. My generation for example considers it perfectly normal to correspond by email or text....not matter how important the topic might be, where the older generation considers it ruse and impersonal.

One thing I think the town should do is build up an email database. They could put on line on our tax bills, or voter reg forms....and then at the very least start sending out emails with a brief outline of when Town Meeting is, and what will be voted on.

There is a gap though. I for example have 3 active emails, mspace, facebook...all linked to my phone in realtime....lol....I am never without it. Others check their email one a week....

Maybe we should hold a one day seminar for the town leaders so they can see what exactly is out there. Smile lol!

Page 1 of 1