Seekonk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
terrybohax
terrybohax

fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals Empty
PostSubject: fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals   fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 8:27 am

Does everyone know that the MA Registry changed their policy and no longer sends out reminders for license renewals? So check your license and note your calendar, Blackberry, etc. when it is time to renew your license within the next 5 years!
I realize costs are getting cut everywhere and this saves a lot in mailing costs but...I think a lot of drivers are going to forget over the course of up to 5 years. scratch

Idea Maybe the Seekonk Town Clerk's Office could put a one line reminder on one of their annual mailings - certainly not THEIR responsibility but it may help jog a few people's memories...who needs the hassle of an expired license? Just like remembering Daylight Saving Time - some people always forget even with the media bombardment.

From the RMV website:

Renewing Your License
Happy Birthday!
Is your license up for renewal?
Be Sure to Check Your License Expiration Date!
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles will no longer mail out renewal notices. Be sure to renew at least seven days before your birthday to ensure that you receive your new license before your old license expires.

You may be able to renew online instead of in line. The RMV express lane is always open.

Your Massachusetts license is valid for a maximum of five (5) years and expires on your birthday. You may renew your license up to one (1) year prior to the expiration date by going to any RMV full service or license express office. You may also be eligible to renew your license online.

The temporary photo-imaging license you receive during your renewal is valid for 30 days, and your new Photo-Imaging License will be mailed to your address of record.
Back to top Go down
tombenoit
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

PostSubject: Re: fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals   fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 9:29 am

Terry - my son just got hit with this. He was carded trying to buy some beer (he is now 30 and has never been carded) and they refused because his license had expired last month. We must have missed the widespread communication of this that I am sure occured Laughing. Did you get a notice on this or was there some article about it?
Back to top Go down
tombenoit
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

PostSubject: Re: fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals   fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 9:33 am

I found the web notice ( http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/10renew.htm ) but never saw this in the papere or anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
terrybohax
terrybohax

PostSubject: Seekonk Reporter page 100 March 2009   fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 9:52 am

I only stumbled upon it as I was looking through the Seekonk Reporter and a small article on pg 100 caught my eye. I had not seen or heard of it anywhere else.

There are 10 things that will no longer be mailed:
license renewal notices
Mass ID renewal notices
Lic reinstatement
Reg reinstatement
Vehicle Inspection reminders for vehicles that are overdue
Inspector lic renewal notice
7D lic renewal notice
Driver's Ed Certificates
Jr. Operator Brochures for Parents
Change of address labels .

I am concerned because I don't think this is widely known, as your son found out. In the case of a car accident, even if you are totally not at fault, if your license is expired, then it could change the onus of liability. You should not have been driving without a valid license. oops2 I'm not a lawyer so not sure about all ramifications of driving with an expired license.

There's got to be some good ways to get the word out and keep it alive since it only occurs every 5 years. Who knows where any of us will be in 5 years?

Does anyone have any suggestions on where reminders could be posted or included with household mailings?
Back to top Go down
mkreyssig
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals   fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 9:02 pm

I have a hard enough time with my kids birthdays....now this?! oops2
Back to top Go down
http://home.comcast.net/~mkreyssig/site/
terrybohax
terrybohax

PostSubject: Re: fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals   fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 11:27 pm

A friend of mine told me tonight that recently he received his car registration renewal notice, and included there was a reminder that the RMV will no longer mail license renewal notices. For him, his car registration renewal happened close to his birthday and his 2009 license renewal, but it won't work that way for most of us.
Back to top Go down
terrybohax
terrybohax

PostSubject: Re: fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals   fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 9:33 pm

Tomorrow is the last day for the North Attleboro RMV. Mad Then they're closed permanently. The place was jumping today and the wait was a half hour for the fast-moving transactions.
Anyone have any suggestions for the next best RMV to go to - Taunton or Fall River or ??? Don't suggest moving to RI - their RMVs are no better or faster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals   fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fyi...MA Registry no longer sends out reminders for license renewals
Page 1 of 1