Seekonk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

april 5 election: debt exclusion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
seek2mend

april 5 election: debt exclusion Empty
Postapril 5 election: debt exclusion

A sample ballot is available at the town's website. Even if you are not interested in the candidates, consider making the effort to get to the polls and vote in favor of the debt exclusion. If this ballot question fails, the burden will unfairly fall on only the households that pay the trash fee.

If this measure passes, the cost will be spread among all taxpayers, business and residents alike. And unlike the trash fee, it will become a tax deduction. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

april 5 election: debt exclusion :: Comments

mkreyssig
Re: april 5 election: debt exclusion
Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:53 pm  mkreyssig
?? Where did this come from?
Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:00 pm  tombenoit
I believe, and I can be corrected, that we were duped into changing the by-law a couple of years ago whereby the selectmen could do just about anything that was remotely related to 'trash' and add it on to the trash fee. Soooo - they could cap a landfill, make it a park, etc. etc. and simply add it to the trash fee - witout voter approval. Then when people get upset about the fee, they simply put it on a debt exclusion.

From my perspective, the entire project should have been debated and placed on a ballot first. What has happened now is that the taxpayers are not allowed to vote on IF we should do a project and only allowed to vote on HOW we pay for it.
Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm  seek2mend
We had some pretty heated debates on the original seekonktalk regarding this issue.

My recollection is this. Mr Lemont, the former TA, burst on the scene with all kinds of grandiose plans. Being from RI, he knew how to play the game. He found a way to avoid bringing the land fill capping to a town wide ballot. He discovered the Sanitation Enterprise Fund. Town meeting could change bylaws and create debt by using this fund.

Lemont also convinced the BOS that everyone would pay for the capping because he was sure a surcharge could be placed on dumpster permits. Low and behold, he was wrong.

The question all boils down to this. If you are paying the trash fee, you had better get your arse to the polls on 4/5 and support the debt exclusion. On the other hand, if you have a dumpster, vote against it.

But please. Do not take my word for it. Talk to someone much smarter than me. That would be anyone on the BOS, Fincomm etc.
and report back.

april 5 election: debt exclusion

Page 1 of 1