Seekonk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

Answering Dave's Ad: Quinn For School Committee

Go down 
AuthorMessage
David_Quinn

Answering Dave's Ad: Quinn For School Committee Empty
PostAnswering Dave's Ad: Quinn For School Committee

Dear readers:

My name is David J. Quinn. I wanted to take Dave up on his want ad and announce my candidacy for school committee in the Town of Seekonk. I am a twenty-year resident of Seekonk and a proud graduate of Seekonk High School (Class of 2004).

Currently, I am a graduate student at Brown University in the Department of Education where I will complete my Masters of Arts in Teaching in May.

The majority of my practice-based experience has been working within the Seekonk School Department. In 2008-09, I served as the Behavior Intervention Coordinator and as head baseball coach at the Dr. Kevin M. Hurley Middle School. I am now finishing my student teaching at Seekonk High School in the History Department. These experiences have provided me the opportunity to see the strengths and the needs of our secondary schools.

In addition to my experience in education, I also have a business background, earning my B.S. from the Isenberg School of Management at the University of Massachusetts—Amherst. During my tenure at UMass I earned numerous awards for both academic achievement and leadership. While a junior, I was hired by the United States Golf Association to help coordinate the 5300-person volunteer staff at the 2007 U.S. Open Championship in Pittsburgh, PA. As a senior, I was also asked to serve on the Sport Management Department Faculty Search Committee.

My course of study and experience in the field of education has prepared me to help lead Seekonk by providing a 21st century education in the most cost-efficient means possible. I pledge to involve and gather insights from all of our town’s stakeholders to increase the quality and productivity of our schools. If elected, I will strive to facilitate the creation of programs that have clear and measurable objectives that provide value to both students and taxpayers alike.

I ask for your support and your vote as you write in David J. Quinn of 66 Brook Hill Drive for the Seekonk School Committee.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Answering Dave's Ad: Quinn For School Committee :: Comments

terrybohax
Re: Answering Dave's Ad: Quinn For School Committee
Post Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:09 am  terrybohax
Best of Luck to you, David Quinn! I remember you from SHS when you were a senior, helping to direct lost parents to their kid's classrooms at Open House. You're a good guy!

You certainly have my vote!

I was wondering how serving on the Seekonk School Committee would affect your employment opportunities as an educator. Would you even be able to finish out your student teaching position in Seekonk if elected in April ?

Dave Abbott, can a Seekonk school committee member work as a teacher anywhere except Seekonk?
Dave
Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:03 am  Dave
You cannot be employed as a teacher or any position included in the teacher's contract for Seekonk. That is why I had to give up my soccer coaching position at the Middle School, as coaches are included in that language. If you are a teacher outside of Seekonk you are ok.

My understanding is that since David is not an employee of the district than there is no conflict.

d
Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:42 pm  David_Quinn
Terry--

I'm happy to hear I have your support. I always enjoyed the SHS tours. It was a great way to interact with students and parents one might not ordinarily get to meet otherwise.

To answer your question: Do I think being on the school committee will negatively impact my employment opportunities? No, I don't. Regardless of my future employment, I decided to run to help the students and residents come together and continue to build a quality school system.

I will be able to finish my student teaching at SHS. I researched the issue before running and, as Dave stated, there no was conflict given the nature of my position.

Thank you again for your support!

Answering Dave's Ad: Quinn For School Committee

Page 1 of 1