We just visited Cleveland and were surprised by a program in place in their Tower City Place Mall. Called 'Parental Involvement Program' - it places strict control over when youth (under age 18) may be in the mall unaccompanied.
In summary it is:
TOWER CITY CENTER
Parental Involvement Program:
The Youth Escort Policy would be in effect between the hours of 2:30 p.m. and closing seven days a week. After 2:30 p.m., anyone under the age of 18 visiting the center must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. One parent or legal guardian is permitted to supervise up to four youths. Youths must remain within the company of their parent or legal guardian. Acceptable proof of age is a valid driver*s license, state/provincial non-driver ID, military or college ID, passport or visa.
Youth Escort Guidelines
* Tower City visitors under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian after 2:30 p.m. seven days a week.
* Proof of age will be required. Those who cannot produce sufficient photo identification will be asked to leave the property. Acceptable forms of ID include a valid driver*s license or other state-issued ID, school, employer or military ID.
* One parent or legal guardian may escort up to four youths, and at least one of the youths must be the child of the parent or legal guardian. Parents or legal guardians are responsible for the actions of the escorted youths.
* School groups are welcome as always, and the school should notify the Tower City Center Management Office in advance and ensure that groups are accompanied by an appropriate number of chaperones. The management office will notify merchants of approved groups that are expected.
* Individuals in violation of the Tower City Youth Escort Policy (or any other posted mall policies, including the existing Code of Conduct) must leave the mall or face disciplinary action.
* Visitors under the age of 18 who are shopping in the center earlier in the day will need to be joined by a parent or legal guardian by 2:30 p.m., or they will need to leave the mall by 2:30 p.m.
* Visitors under the age of 18 who are in the cinema for a movie that starts before 2:30 and ends after 2:30 will need to leave Tower City within 30 minutes of the movie ending. After 2:30 p.m., visitors under the age of 18 will need to go directly to the movie theater, purchase their ticket and remain in the theater lobby until the movie begins. They must leave the Tower City property after the movie ends.
* Employees under the age of 18 who work in Tower City will be issued a photo ID and be allowed to utilize the common areas to come and go from work. They are permitted to visit the food court, but must wear their badge so it is visible after 2:30 p.m.
* Visitors under the age of 18 who are making RTA connections are allowed to walk through Tower City Center to catch buses and trains. (NOTE: The mall is alos a subway intersection and gateways to buses).
* Visitors under the age of 18 have access to the walkway for sporting events and concerts, and to the escalator and stairs for the Time Warner Amphitheatre at Tower City.
* The above rules apply to all mall areas, including the cinemas, food court, hallways, stores, and parking garage and lot. * This program will be strictly enforced.
The website http://www.towercitycenter.com/info/ParentalInvolvementProgram.cfm
Has more info on the guidelines, code of conduct, after school programs, etc.
I am interested in others view.