Seekonk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

Newspaper comments sections-

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave
Admin
Admin
Dave

Newspaper comments sections- Empty
PostSubject: Newspaper comments sections-   Newspaper comments sections- I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 1:01 pm

I find it interesting that both the Attleboro Sun and the Seekonk Star have suspended their online comments sections. I wonder how long the projo will continue?

Like the old Seekonk Talks the ability to create many accounts from one IP address allowed posters to attack each other and behave in a way that would not happen if they met you for coffee. Though the growth of actual posters here has been slow, I am proud that respectful dialog, regardless of opinion, has flourished here and I think it serves as an example of some of the positives concerning our community.

d
Back to top Go down
https://seekonktalks.forumotion.net
seek2mend

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper comments sections-   Newspaper comments sections- I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 11:12 am

Dave wrote:
I find it interesting that both the Attleboro Sun and the Seekonk Star have suspended their online comments sections. I wonder how long the projo will continue?d

I doubt either media outlet suspended the online comments because of some ethical or moral principles. I'm sure it had much more to do with $$$$$$.

Without advertisers, including political adds, the traditional media would go belly up. The two major political parties, those running for office, businesses, government, insurers are consistently scrutinized on these sites. These newspapers are not about to bite the hand that feeds them. Our contribution as subscribers amounts to chump change. And there are those of us who won't pay that chump change and choose to browse the news sites for free.

So if you were the publisher of the Star or the Sun, which master would you serve?
Back to top Go down
Dave
Admin
Admin
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper comments sections-   Newspaper comments sections- I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Actually if you read the comments lately on eastbayri.com it was a lot of people attacking each other- poster to poster...
Back to top Go down
https://seekonktalks.forumotion.net
seek2mend

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper comments sections-   Newspaper comments sections- I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 9:07 am

Dave wrote:
Actually if you read the comments lately on eastbayri.com it was a lot of people attacking each other- poster to poster...

Not surprising.

I think a lot of the smaller newspapers are looking for any reason to end these forums and, IMHO, the reason is not altruistic. They are afraid of the backlash from advertisers. They are also afraid of lawsuits. There is also the possibility business liability insurance rates are affected by the level of freedom provided by these websites.

Admittedly, I am cynical when it comes to those that are suppose to be our eyes and ears while we go about our daily business. News is a business like any other business. They have to justify their existence with profits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newspaper comments sections-   Newspaper comments sections- I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newspaper comments sections-
Page 1 of 1