Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
July 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

Share | 

Flooding - Hurley Middle School is open as a shelter

Go down 
AuthorMessage
terrybohax

PostFlooding - Hurley Middle School is open as a shelter

I received an emergency recording call today from the Seekonk PD advising that certain Seekonk streets were flooded, and later a call to advise that the Hurley Middle School is open as a shelter for residents. Bring your own bedding materials, your medications and no pets allowed.

I think these emergency broadcast calls are a very good idea.

How are people coping with the flooding? crying bad My basement never dried out from the last rains and my sump pump has been pumping gallons per minute round the clock. fish
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Similar topics

-
» open every link in a new tab?
» Chuggington Back-to-School Sweepstakes *usa only*
» Green Fever open air open road sweepstakes
» how to open a browser in selenium web driver
» I want to go back to school
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Flooding - Hurley Middle School is open as a shelter :: Comments

We got both calls. I think we are in the same area Wendy. You might want to verify your info.

We have two sump-pumps and a french drain in our basement and not even that could handle this amount of rain. I spent the day vacuuming...not sure why because the water was coming in faster than I could suck it up.
I am on the lower end of Read St. The little river that runs through the back became a monster. What normally flows about 110 feet from the rear of my house rose to within 35 feet of the casa. One more day like that and we could have been past the 100 year mark (I studied those lines before deciding to plop a house near them).

Basement is nice and dry but I consider myself lucky...
I was just watching the BOS meeting and I was not aware of free landfill passes and curbside pickup of items damaged by flooding.
I think you have to contact the DPW by this Friday the 23rd to schedule a curbside pickup for next week so don't delay!

Also, Mr. McLintock and Mr. Parker both spoke about FEMA reimbursements available to Seekonk residents. Mr. Parker was reimbursed for almost the entire fee for dumpster and debris removal but Mr. McL was not. I just had a FEMA rep here on Monday morning to survey a breach in my foundation and other damages due to flooding, and I got a deposit in my checking acct this morning (2 days later !) to help with the costs of repairs/replacement. Call 1-800-621-3362 to register right away and they will send out an inspector. As a person who worked my whole life and never got a penny of help from any government agencies, I was grateful for the assistance in these tough times.

Quote :
Seekonk eliminates landfill fees
BY JOSEPH S. SIEGEL FOR THE SUN CHRONICLESunday, April 18, 2010 9:43 AM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seekonk eliminates landfill fees

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEEKONK - Seekonk has become the latest area community to waive fees to make the post-flooding cleanup from last month's record rainfall easier on residents.

The selectmen's office announced Thursday that fees for landfill passes will be eliminated for town residents disposing of bulky items at the transfer station.

All residents still must get a pass from the public works department.

Public works, at 871 Taunton Ave., is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Passes won't be issued at the transfer station. No exceptions will be made, and only residents with passes will be allowed to use the transfer station. In addition, residents also must sign an affidavit stating that all materials being disposed of were damaged during the flooding.

The transfer station hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays until May 15, except for Monday's Patriots Day holiday.

The town also will provide curbside collection of flood-damaged items.

The collection will take place weekdays April 26-30 during residents' regular trash day.

Any resident wishing to dispose of items by curbside collection is required to register at the public works department.

Flooding - Hurley Middle School is open as a shelter

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Seekonk Talks :: Local Seekonk Topics-
Jump to:  

Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum