Seekonk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

New tax rates

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tombenoit
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

New tax rates Empty
PostNew tax rates

I just read the Sun Chronicle online and am really confused about the tax rate. The article states that the rate will go from $9.64 to $10.52 per $1,000 of valuation - that is $.88 per $1000. Later the article claims that "The median price is $50 higher in taxes for the residential homeowner". But still later it says "The median home value is $289,000". The math does not work. If the rate is going up $.88 then the increase for an owner of the median home ($289,000) would be $254.32.

Did anyone watch the show? ANyone know what gives?
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

New tax rates :: Comments

mkreyssig
Re: New tax rates
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:54 pm  mkreyssig
50 dollars per quarter maybe?
In equality.
Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:00 pm  jack47
So let me see if I understand this brilliant plan. Our property values went down so our tax rates go up? Genius, who was the democrat who came up with that plan! My house is now worth almost nothing, but now I have to pay more tax on it.
Dave
Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:02 pm  Dave
Same here- value dropped 40k but the taxes are the same if not higher. Not sure I would blame any one party- trying to remember the last time my house taxes went down- EVER. Anyone out there ever have it happen???

Fighting the value down does not count...
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:51 pm  jack47
I forgot one great point. At the April 2009 election, the wonderful people of seekonk passed a ballot question to allow for a 1 1/4%" surcharge on our tax's. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD VOTE FOR "The Community Preservation Act." I just saw this, you must be joking! Didn't anyone read the act or what the end result of this act would do? Come on! When you voted for this, where did you think the "funding" for this would come from? I guess no one in seekonk is losing their house's (or knows how to read for that fact). If they are, at least they have the satisfaction of knowing that we are "preserving open Space, Historic Preservation and Affordable Housing". Well for those that are losing their house, or on fixed incomes, maybe you can live in the affordable house's. Way to go Seekonk!
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:09 pm  seek2mend
Dave: It would be great if you could get Paul Buckley to compile something for this site explaining how taxes go up as values go down.
I could never do the subject justice.

In lieu of that, the Citizens for Limited Taxation did have a propostion 2 1/2 primer document availble on their site. It may also be available on Mass.gov.
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:20 pm  seek2mend
And another thing. For the people who complain about the cost of living in Seekonk: GET TO TOWN MEETING.

Votes taken at these meetings do impact many aspects of life in Seekonk. The CPA question could have been stopped in it's tracks.
And the flexibility granted to the DPW via the Town Sanitation Enterprise was accomplished by a Town Meeting. ..much to my dismay.

Don't think for one minute I would consider making major changes fo our form of government. Things could be much worse.
Dave
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:26 pm  Dave
Quote :
And another thing. For the people who complain about the cost of living in Seekonk: GET TO TOWN MEETING.

uhm DITTO...
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:37 pm  tombenoit
Didn't we go thru a town wide re-valuation this year. That would explain a lot. Whne the entire town gets revalued - you can not bbase anything on how your popery is valued. Prop 2 1/2 is base don the total dollars tha are collected. If the TOTAL valuation o fthe taxed property changes (as in a revaluation year), the the tax rate is adjusted to bring in the same amount of dollars. (Then the 2 1/2 factor, new growth, debt exclusions, etc are calculated).
mkreyssig
Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:44 pm  mkreyssig
I believe the tax rates are set at what the value would have been 2 years ago. In a normal economy you house value is always increasing. However in this economy, most our houses were probably worth more in 2008 than they are now in 2010. I think that is how it works...

I know you can ask the accessors to come out any time you want....or so they say... Very Happy
Dave
Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm  Dave
Having fought my evaluation for years I can tell you that it is based on the value of your home as of January of the prior year. So the value assigned for the 2010 tax year is based on the value of your home in January 2009.

Yes you can invite them into your home but that will just get you into an arguement over a 12 foot space built for a lawn tractor being considered a full garage space by the assessor because you could always fit a motorcycle in it Neutral (no...I am not making this up).
Post   Sponsored content

New tax rates

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Seekonk Talks :: Local Seekonk Topics-
Jump to:  

How to make a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com