Question for Any SC members on here

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.
HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
January 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

Share | 

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mkreyssig

PostQuestion for Any SC members on here

Dave too....lol.

Just wondering if the School Department intends to show Obama's speech to the students on September 8? If they are will the parents be notified in advance for something like this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://home.comcast.net/~mkreyssig/site/

Similar topics

-
» Question on vision
» Gallery (Members)
» Answer these questions with song titles
» Weigel's 80 Days of Wow Giveaway 6/15
» User Guide and Handbook - A must Read.
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Question for Any SC members on here :: Comments

Re: Question for Any SC members on here
Post on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:34 pm  seek2mend
I don't think parents would be that concerned if Obama was just giving a little pep talk. I think they are more concerned about some of the other suggested activities on the Dept of Ed's website.

NCLB was the beginning of the end to local autonomy. See what happens when Republicans and Democrats cross the aisle?
Post on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:44 pm  seek2mend
Wendy,
Is there a recording or historic transcript of this 1991 televised speech to students?
Post on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:27 pm  mkreyssig
I was in 6th grade in 91 and I don't remember that. Regardless that wasn't my question. I guess I can always email the principle tomorrow.
Post on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:43 am  mkreyssig
Well Wendy 1) Being a Massachusetts school I would not be surprised in the least if the speech was not shown, however 2) if it was and I just can't remember it is probably because the Department of Education did not send out a curriculum for students and teachers to complete before, during, and after the speech.

Furthermore 1991 is not 2009 and you have to look at the context, the timing, and the culture. He is doing this the day before he gives his joint congressional speech at a time when he and his healthcare plan are embattled, his popularity is sliding in the wrong direction and August marked the biggest political revolution this country has seen in decades.

The White House is already using the NEA to instruct (sorry "encouraging") the countries artists and filmmakers to make art that sends a message of support about Obama's policies. Other leaders in the Democratic party are out calling people exercising their freedom of speech, brown-shirts and natzis.

The DHS has refferred to me as a right wing extremist, and BarackObama.com has referred to me as a Right-Wing Domestic Terrorist.

You think I should not be wary of this President making a speech to my child while he is in school? Maybe I don't want this....

(I can't find the original video, so pardon the Hitler title)

Post on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:57 am  mkreyssig
Oh...and look they are already back-peddling....

Quote :
The Obama administration is rethinking its course recommendations for students ahead of President Obama's address to the the nation's schoolchildren next week, rewriting its suggestions to teachers for student assignments on how to "help the president."

White House aides said the language was supposed to be an inspirational, pro-education message to America's youths, but its unintended consequences were evident.

Among the activities initially suggested for pre-K to 6th grade students was to "write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president."

Another assignment for students after hearing the speech was to discuss what "the president wants us to do."

The suggestion about writing letters has since been changed to: "Write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short-term and long-term education goals. These would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals."

White House spokesman Tommy Vietor said the changes to the language are intended to make the lesson plans clearer. He added that the speech is not a policy speech, but is intended to encourage kids to work hard and commit to school.

The speech is "about the value of education and the importance of staying in school as part of his effort to dramatically cut the dropout rate," Vietor said.

The Washington Times was first to report. Thursday that the plan was being reconsidered. Presidential aides also acknowledged to the newspaper that they helped the U.S. Education Department write the suggested assignments, which stirred criticism by many who say Obama is trying to indoctrinate the education system.

Woops
Post on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:36 am  seek2mend
We should remind ourselves of the battle we were fighting here in Seekonk a year or so ago this month.

We all agreed the residency verification process was WAY over the top. Mike chose to handle it one way. Wendy chose another. I think Mike blackened out parts of the affadavit that he did not agree with and simply handed it in. Wendy chose to take it to the streets, so to speak. I think many people admired Wendy. Others thought she was just a b*&t*h. I was one who admired her persistance and agreed with her stance.

I am sure it was emotionally draining for her. In the end, she reluctantly met the requirements for the sake of her child.

Here we are. One year latter. Mike has concerns for what will happen in his childs classroom on Sept 8. Wendy is defending this administration and mocking Mike for being protective of his child and his rights as a parent.

Let me ask you something, Wendy. If people were to put pressure on Mr Madden and he did not participate in the Obama adminstration's lesson plan for 9/8, would you put equal pressure to force him to participate fully?

Keep in mind, I have no idea what Mr Madden plans.
Post on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:46 am  mkreyssig
I'll post the screen shot of BarackObama.com if you want so you can see "as we fight back against our own Right-Wing Domestic terrorists who are subverting the democratic process". You could go there and see it yourself, but they took it down two days ago....

The president is elected by people of voting age to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against enemies foreign and domestic. Mr. Madden was hired to educate my child. But I am not saying "don't speak to my child." However if a controversial person is going to give a speech to my elementary school child during a controversial time in our country, and prior, during, and after will be participating in activities "suggested" by the federal government; I want to be present in the classroom.

I have emailed Mr. Madden to find out if the school is participating and seek permission to be in the classroom if they are. We'll see...
Post on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:46 pm  Dave
Wow!

After messing around with the site appearance I get bogged down in all the "wicked" fun real life junk and one day later walk into a biggie Smile

So let me know how you make out with your request Mike, but if this is something you feel so strongly about you might consider having your child sit out on the speach. I have not been following it too closely- is this something that each President does?

d

P.S. I have to get rid of all of these French buttons web design
Post on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:42 pm  mkreyssig
lol....I thought they were spanish....been a while....

To answer your question Dave; I don't know if this is something every President does. I don't remember ever sitting in school and watching the president give a speech just to students. My son has never come home and said he watched George W on tv in school.

Wendy says it has happened.

So I think the answer is two-fold.

1) No President has ever given the Education Department guidelines to give to the schools on directing the discussion about what the President is going to say, never suggested taping memorable quotes about education that the President has stated up on the wall, or reading books about the president before the speech....etc, etc. That's what bothers me the most.

2) It has only been in this century really that the technology has been in place for the President to actually give a speech and have it reach every child in America, so while past Presidents may have given televised speeches directed at students during the school day, none have them have posted a curriculum about it on a government website, and then webcasting the speech so that classrooms equipped with either a computer or a television will have access to it.

I mean, look the reality is Obama knows everyone is watching this so I am sure it will be an innocuous speech, but since it will not be available for parents to read in advance, I would just assume be there when it is given, lest my son come home and inform me that the President wants to keep grandma alive so we need have healthcare for everyone. Just saying...

Other than that I don't intent to bare my son from hearing from the President, I just want to ensure age appropriate relative content is being addressed.
Post on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:31 am  seek2mend
Bon jour!!

I don't know if it was unintended consequences, Wendy. But you rightfully pointed out that this is not a first for a president. Obama's appointed Secretary of Education Duncan almost succeeded in rewriting history when he wrote to principals across America that:

"This is the first time an American president has spoken directly to the nation's school children about persisting and scceeding in school. We encourage you to use this historic moment to help your students get focused and begin the school year strong."

Any educator should be appalled at such an egregious error.

It is also interesting to note that according to Wikipedia, Ronald Reagan appointed Terrell Bell Secretary of Education and assigned him the responsibility of dismantling the Department of Education. Too bad he didn't succeed crying bad
Post on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:42 am  Dave
I did hear this morning on the radio that the text from the speach will be released the day before for parents to review.

Yes- I will try and correct these French buttons over the weekend scratch
Post on Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:38 pm  Dave
Quote :
Attention Parents:On Tuesday, September 8, 2009, President Obama will talk directly to students across the country on the importance of taking responsibility for their education, challenging them to set goals and to do everything they can to succeed. The address, which will last about fifteen minutes, will be broadcast live from the White House and will be able to be viewed via live stream at http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/ While we will not be viewing the speech live in our schools on September 8, 2009,we will be taping the speech. Teachers and students may view it at a later date in some classes whose curriculum support its use.

Madeline P. MeyerSuperintendent of Schools
Post on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:15 pm  seek2mend
Good call, Mrs Meyer!!! This is what I call leadership!!!!
Post on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:43 pm  mkreyssig
Ah...I see I am behind the 8-ball here...lol. I was just logging to in to write that Mr. Madden repsonded to me this morning and said at the moment they would not be showing it to students until the Faculty had viewed it, but that they were toying with the idea of doing just what Mrs. Meyer seems to have announced.

So there we have it....the end!

Interested in what you had to say Wendy....blame Dave, he wants us all to speak french!
Post on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:40 pm  seek2mend
Wendy, I do not think the president speaking to school children is a violation under the constitution. I don't think volunteer parents reading to children is a violation of the constitution.

I believe local school districts have a thankless job. They have a responsibility to determine what is best for the children. If you choose to keep your children home, that is your right. Thankfully, that is STILL your right.
Post on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:48 pm  tombenoit
Wendy wrote:
I am thinking of keeping my kids out of school on Tuesday so that they can view the speech.

Wendy - would you really consider keeping your children home from school for a day just so they could see a 15 minute speech live instead of later?
Post on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:53 pm  mkreyssig
I don't think she caved. I think more parents other than myself must have contacted her, and as an educator she probably thought; if this speech is not in the curriculum, not required by law to show, and even a few parents are uncomfortable with it...why cause conflict?

No one is being denied the ability to watch it as it will be on the DE website after the fact, and no one is being forced to watch it either.

Makes sense to me.

As for BarackObama.com it is the home off Organizing for America which was created by Obama and is managed as an arm of the DNC. While it was on the "Social Networking Part" of the site I am sure it heavily moderated as is everything (I was going to sign up and see, but that would mean I would start getting their emails) on a political website. In fact in most sites that I have posted or commented on they have to be approved before they even hit the site.

Furthermore, I doubt no one in the DNC or the Obama Camp just didn't see it, and it was left there until the media pointed it out. And this is a growing trend. I mean like I said so far we have :Right Wing Extremists, White Wing Domestic terroists, Brown-Shirts, Nazis, Astro-Turf, and A-holes.

Which again, back to this speech is why I was frankly uncomfortable about it. Has Obama come out and condemned Pelosi or Ried for their statements? These are very different times then they were in 1991.
Post on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:53 pm  mkreyssig
Hardly a quick commen....t

Post on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:15 pm  mkreyssig
Wendy, I don't have a lot of time today so I will throw this out there. That page is a tiny piece of a giant pattern for Obama supporter and Obama officials.

Take a look at his green Jobs Czar Van Jones: Talks of how white people are poisoning the black community., supports taking the money away from white capitalists to give to the Native Americans, is a 911 truther and has signed the petition on 911truth.org, called republicans a-holes, and stated "only white suburban kids shoot up schools, you don't see any black kids shooting up schools....oh...and he is a self proclaimed Communist and Radical.

Or how about Cass Sustein the head of Information and Regulatory Affairs who supports compulsory abortions and sterilizing woman after they have had their second child. Among other methods of population control.

Mark Lloyd, already written about him so dig around in the other posts.

During his campaign Obama made the statement "If you want to know what I believe, look at the people I surround myself with." Then went on to list names like Warren Buffet, Wesley Clark, and Collin Powel.

Haven't hears their names recently....have you?
Post on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:07 pm  mkreyssig
I'm not wrong Wendy, It's all on tape....other new outlets have reported it as well. I'm not wrong. Not to mention I was ever Mark Lloyd well before Glenn Beck even mentioned his name.

Furthermore the only reason Glenn Becks name is the only one that shows up when you google these people is because for the most part he has been the only one who has gone after them in the media.

Log into Nexus and see how many mentions there are of Van Jones on ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN etc....the answer is zero.

And don't say they are ignoring it because it isn't true, that's bogus. Fox and the National Enquierer where the only ones who dared report the John Edwards affiar while the rest of the media dismissed it as "tabloid trash"....whoops...that was true...
Post on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:25 pm  Dave
Sigh...

Looks like I have to revisit the language filter- can we please keep this thread on topic. We have a national forum for all this other gunk.

Thanks,

d
Post on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:19 pm  seek2mend
Dave wrote:
Sigh...

Looks like I have to revisit the language filter- can we please keep this thread on topic. We have a national forum for all this other gunk.
Thanks,
d

I agree, Dave. I think Mike's original question got lost. I think the Superintendent did the right thing. It is very sad to see that even Seekonk is feeling the effects of the Obama administration's divide and conquer stategy. Parent against Parent???

Take outside, guys!!!
Post on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:46 am  Dave
Wendy wrote:

This question is for Dave as a SC member: do parents have the right to control what their children are exposed to in school?

I also want to know how many parents complained about the Obama speech. I think that is an issue of transparency. I have a right as a Seekonk taxpayer and parent of children in the school to know how many people complained.

I can only answer as a parent, because I have yet to be in a SC position where we have had a discussion on something like this, I sort of look at it like some of the health topics. I am not too crazy about certain things but I also have to be understanding that in a Public School things are not always going to be in line with what I feel is a parent's role vs. a school role. I think that as a parent, I can choose to send my child to an institution more in line with my thinking or I can choose to discuss with my child some of the things that I am not comfortable with.

I think an example here would be if they did listen to a speech from the President and I was not so hot on that idea, I feel I would have a responsibility to talk with my child afterwards and provide them additional guidance.
Post on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:41 am  seek2mend
Wendy wrote:
I kind of like the French. Smile

I really believe it is Mike who has been bringing us off-topic by mentioning Van Jones and the BarackObama.com site

It is not so much that you brought us off-topic. But that your response to Mike's query was to post information that you knew would put Mike, "the Republican", on the defensive. Wouldn't you agree this is childish and not befitting a highly educated woman like yourself?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Seekonk Talks :: Local Seekonk Topics-
Jump to:  

Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum