Seekonk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

Keep special election!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
seek2mend

Keep special election!! Empty
PostSubject: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 9:28 am

I just heard that Ted Kennedy is asking Massachusetts lawmakers to reverse the 2004 law that would require a special election for replacements. At the time, Romney was governor and lawmakers did not want him to have appointment priveledges. If Kerry vacated for the Presidency, the Dems did not want to risk losing that seat.

Not surprising the push is now to reverse that decision.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
seekonkres

PostSubject: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 am

What are the Dem's afraid of?

I find it funny they need to change the laws depending on who is Governor.
Back to top Go down
seek2mend

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 am

We've been short a senator for months. If Kennedy had just put politics aside for the good of the Commonwealth and simply resigned, we would already have a voice.
Back to top Go down
terrybohax
terrybohax

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Is there a special state primary next Tuesday Dec 8th for U. S. Senator? I don't see anything about it on the Town's website or calendar....

I did see a snippet of an interview with Jan Parker on cable, talking about doing some things differently for the next election but I didn't catch when that would be, and not sure how old the interview is.
Back to top Go down
seek2mend

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:10 am

terrybohax wrote:
Is there a special state primary next Tuesday Dec 8th for U. S. Senator? I don't see anything about it on the Town's website or calendar....

I checked the town and library website and see nothing.

I am disappointed the direction this town is going regarding communication. I have not heard much about the primary, but voting should be scheduled at the high school. Maybe the town/school dept. want to keep turn out to a minimum since school is in session. Shameful!!
Back to top Go down
mkreyssig
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Yes...there is a special election December 8, it is the democrat and republican primary. Not to big of a deal if you are voting Republicans since there is only one candidate. However if you are voting democrat you have 4 to choose from.
Back to top Go down
http://home.comcast.net/~mkreyssig/site/
seek2mend

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:58 pm

mkreyssig wrote:
Yes...there is a special election December 8, it is the democrat and republican primary. Not to big of a deal if you are voting Republicans since there is only one candidate. However if you are voting democrat you have 4 to choose from.

Only one Republican on the ballot? I know Brown has not withdrawn. Has Robinson?
Back to top Go down
Dave
Admin
Admin
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 3:53 pm

LOL...you are expecting something on the Town website like an election when there has not to date and likely will not be posted, any results from town meeting.

I don't think it belongs on the school website- I think it belongs on the Town side with something from the clerk. We have (had) an official area here for posting but that project has never realy taken off.

I do think the school site is very proactive but remains focused on school stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://seekonktalks.forumotion.net
seek2mend

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Dave wrote:

I don't think it belongs on the school website- I think it belongs on the Town side with something from the clerk. We have (had) an official area here for posting but that project has never realy taken off.

Of course the Town Clerk should be proactive. But, Dave, you make a civic announcement such as an election sound so dirty. You don't think it "BELONGS" on a school website? Wink

It is unfortunate that the our officials do not make use of this site.

I think Jan Parker posted a time or two. But I guess she couldn't stand the heat. Must have been hot flashes. Shock Thud
Back to top Go down
mkreyssig
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 8:30 pm

seek2mend wrote:
mkreyssig wrote:

Only one Republican on the ballot? I know Brown has not withdrawn. Has Robinson?

I stand corrected....I've never even heard of Robinson...lol...wow...shame on me! jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://home.comcast.net/~mkreyssig/site/
seek2mend

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 9:42 pm

FYI: I just watched a channel 9 PSA. It featured Mr Carroll and Mrs Parker. During the conversation, Mrs Parker informed the audience (probably just me) that information was on the website. Low and behold, there it is. It is pretty well disguised. It is not on the calendar or located in the document file. Just click enter Town Hall and click on Town Clerk.

Voting is from 7am - 8pm at the high school. You will use the the pool
entrance and there will be plenty of police presence for security.

The ballots are available at the town website. However, she did mention that a libertarian ballot is available on 12/8 but I do not see it posted on the website. I will double check.
Back to top Go down
Dave
Admin
Admin
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 11:54 am

OK I updated our news on it.

I agree it should be something similar to our site where important news flashes across the front page. Took me three clicks to get to that info on the town site.

On an aside we had a consolidation meeting and one thing discussed was (gasp) using the same platform for the websites. The Selectmen really like the school site (being a bit of a perfectionist I still find ours a bit cluttered and still in need of some streamlining) and complimented that it was more advanced than the town site.

I only attended the back half of that meeting but I can say that genuine dialog is taking place on consolidating some resources. I will attempt a seperate blog on this in the near future.

d
Back to top Go down
https://seekonktalks.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keep special election!!   Keep special election!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keep special election!!
Page 1 of 1