Do you consider this racism? - Page 2

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.
HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
January 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

Share | 

Do you consider this racism?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dave
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Quote :
Racists are made, not born

Exactly my point...so is character. You make it, you are not born with it.

Quote :
Second, the Boston PD hired someone who is a racist and let him work there for years.

Are you saying that BPD knew this Officer is racist and did nothing about it???

Really trying to understand you here...at some point ansering my question about Mr. Gates would be great.

d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://seekonktalks.forumotion.net
seek2mend

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:02 pm

Wendy,

You use the term moron to describe the woman who made the 911 call. Then you use the same word to describe the Boston police officer. You put these two people in the same category? And then you seem to conclude that it is understandable, maybe even wise to look at all Police Officers with a jaundiced eye.

I can't understand where you are coming from.

Who knows? Maybe Barnett was just hoping for an opportunity to have a beer at the white house, even if it means getting slapped around by a couple of elitists.
study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:10 pm

I don't think that Barrett is any more of a racist than say...Jessy Jackson when he started dropping the N-bomb when he though he was off camera in the Fox News Studio, or Michael Richards when he lost it.

Sometimes when people get angry they use the worst language possible relating to the person so that they can get the message across that they are bleep.

Just like if I hall off can call Dave a "Pig" or Wendy....a bad word....doesn't mean I am sexist or anti-cop. It could mean that I don't have a the verbal skills to express what I am feeling in an educated manner.

Playground talk you stupid snot face. (That was aimed at no one)

That said...Barrett is an idiot, and I saw his point and would have seen his point without him throwing jungle monkey into the mix. That was uncalled for, and as a public servant he should be disciplined.

BUT....I don't see how Crowley has anything to do with this. If we are lumping people then we are all at fault for something....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://home.comcast.net/~mkreyssig/site/
Dave
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:25 pm

Since there seems to be some genuine confusion as to what a racist is I thought the actual definition from dictionary.com would be helpful;

Quote :
Racist - a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others.

I think most of us out there would agree with that definition. As for not getting into a hypothetical...well...most of Wendy's comments are based on assumptions on how one person feels about another and who is aware of their behavior, and even deeper now, who is covering up for said behavior.

I am not trying to single you out Wendy but clearly your definition of being a racist is different from the standard one that most of us are familiar with.

d
Back to top Go down
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:54 pm

Did I really type ObleepO in my post.....lol....wow.... uhm
Back to top Go down
seek2mend

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:44 am

This is what you posted on 7/22, Wendy.

[quote="Wendy"]
I think I am racist.

You also posted that you think most people are racist.

Last night you inferred that the BPD was incompetent in their screening and hiring practice because they hired a racist.

My question is this. If most people are racist, including you, do you think they should be eliminated from contention for certain professions. If so wouldn't you agree racist's do not belong in the classroom?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:29 am

mkreyssig wrote:

Figures it would be a Mod who triggers our first - BLEEP!

funny2
Back to top Go down
Dave
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:31 am

Seek I just figured out that if you simply hit the "quote" button it will add the author and their posting to your message so that you can respond to it....coolnesss.....
Back to top Go down
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:08 pm

Dave wrote:
mkreyssig wrote:

Figures it would be a Mod who triggers our first - BLEEP!

funny2

Well...note to everyone. Another way to say "ticked' that starts with "p" is a bad word!

You know...this is funny too, because I always use that word, never really considered it bad, but whenever I use it and my wife is around she gives me this horrified look like i just dropped the f-bomb.

Sorry Guys valentine
Back to top Go down
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:09 pm

Wendy, do you understand that the situation that Crowely was responding to is the situation in which most police officers die?

He is responding to a report that there is a possability that someone may have broken into a house. He gets to that house and sees someone inside. It doesn't matter the color. That person has cover, the cop does not. He does not know if the person he is looking at is armed, does not know if there is someone hiding behind the door with the gun, does not know if there is someone else around the corner with a gun pointed at Gates telling him so say that everything is okay.

Crowely asking Gates to come to the door was not racists, was not racial profiling. It was standard police procedure.

If anyone in this scenario is a racist it is Gates, because he clearly profiled Crowely.
Back to top Go down
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Wendy wrote:
Mike, do you do research before you make claims?

"Wendy, do you understand that the situation that Crowely was responding to is the situation in which most police officers die?"

http://www.nleomf.com/MidYearReport/

"If current trends continue, 2009 will be the 12th year in a row in which more officers are killed in traffic-related incidents than die from any other cause."

Oh...you are right Wendy....Sorry....getting shot is only the Second leading cause of death. Sorry....I spoke out of turn.

Back to top Go down
terrybohax

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:00 pm

Until a few weeks ago, I had never heard of Prof. Gates. I hope he will now fade from late night TV fodder back into relative obscurity within Harvard's circle of intelligentsia. He has had his 15 minutes of notoriety.

I have to give Jon Stewart's Daily Show kudos for making this point:
While Gates was enjoying a beer on the White House lawn, hopefully he could see how foolish his comment was re: "This is what happens to black men in America". Yeah, a black man in America became President of the United States.

My hope for Sgt. Crowley is that he also fades back into obscurity and finishes out his career with his reputation intact.

And if Gates ever does need the Cambridge police, they will respond professionally because it is their job to do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Wendy wrote:
And of those who get shot, how many get shot investigating a report of B&E?

Think carefully before answering.... Wink

Where we are going with this is that there wasn't really the level of risk you suggested. This is why Crowley went up to the door without backup. He only called for backup when a disabled 150-lb man got angry at him.

Wimp.

I really have tried to approach my end of the discussion in a reasonable attempt to have a meaningful conversation. Clearly from your last comment that is not possible. I think that you should do a ride along with an officer some time and it just might make you rethink your last post.

d
Back to top Go down
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:58 am

Here is my answer Wendy:

I'm sure a good chunk of those shootings take place or start off in a scenario that invloves one of the following: BE Residence, BE/Tresspass business, or private property, domesctis disturbance where an unknown number of people are inside the residence, or some other unknown call that takes place inside an inclosed area.

In all likely hood the reason more police are not shot is because they have a set of protocall in place that is designed to keep the police officers as safe as possible.

A cop would be stupid if he only included, or exluded a certain race or age as having the ability to pull a gone on him. If he did do that his odds of getting shot are pretty good.

A 150 lb old man can pull a weapon on a cop just as easily as a 25 year old man can.

Crowely is not a wimp. He is a smart cop.
Back to top Go down
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:02 am

Another thing. I've known quite a few cops and her quite a few war stories. You would be surpised to find out how many of them when responding to a possible B&E, will not even approach the door until backup has arrived.
Back to top Go down
terrybohax

PostSubject: Wimp vs. Whiner   Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:16 am

Dave, I agree with you. I could say a lot more right now about the 'wimp' comment but I hate to resort to name calling like wimp, moron, racist, as another poster has done.

What I will say is that I am now glad our family doesn't have the money to send our kids to Harvard to be 'mentored' ??? by an apparent 'whiner' who effectively passes on that trait to his followers.

I am going to end my involvement in this discussion thread now. I will channel my energy into donating to the Jimmy Fund in honor of a N. Attleboro police captain who recently passed away too soon. He was exemplary - an outstanding police officer and a wonderful guy, beloved by thousands of people. I am honored to have met him years ago. Now HE was a Man and a Mentor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
seek2mend

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:40 am

Dave wrote:

I really have tried to approach my end of the discussion in a reasonable attempt to have a meaningful conversation. Clearly from your last comment that is not possible. I think that you should do a ride along with an officer some time and it just might make you rethink your last post.

d

Who would take her? Evil or Very Mad

Even though I still agree with Wendy regarding the residency verification process, I can definitely understand why she and Dr Chevrette would have clashed.

As for the issue at hand, I hope Obama, Gates and Wendy are not typical of the educated elite. All seem to lack one critical trait. That being empathy.

Terry mentioned Jon Stewart. If anyone hasn't seen Larry Wilmore's take on the Cambridge affair, IMO, it is definitely one of the best. I think it was aired on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mkreyssig

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:44 am

I'm locking this thread for now. I think we have covered every angle of the topic, and it's time to move on lest we start making it personal, and I can feel the collective urge for everyone to start calling each other bad names.

If anyone really wants to add anything else, fell free to PM myself or another MOD . Maybe we will unlock it again after a brief breather.

In the meantime it was a great debate!

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider this racism?   

Back to top Go down

Do you consider this racism?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Seekonk Talks :: State, National, and World News :: State News-
Jump to:  

Forumotion.com | Computers and Internet | Software | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com