Seekonk Talks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
SPECIAL TOWN VOTE AUG 31ST!!! VOTE YAY OR NAY FOR THE NORTH FIRE STATION RENOVATION!!!
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

Common Sense

Go down 
AuthorMessage
halajko

Common Sense Empty
PostCommon Sense

Nobody wants their taxes to be raised including myself. But for many years we have enjoyed our low tax rate and execellent services that I feel the town provides on their limited budget. I find it to be very rigid thinking and a lack of common sense when some of our elected officials will not consider an override for specific departments. Their argument is if we do an override it has to be for all departments. Cannot pick & choose. Sounds good but lacks thinking out of the box. Public safety is something that we cannot over look. When our chiefs are stating that we need more man power, its time to allow the people of the town to decide on these issues, not the selectman. Work for the people of the town and let them decide.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Common Sense :: Comments

Re: Common Sense
Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:13 am  tombenoit
I would agree with you regarding the need - but - by law, an override can not be specified for a specific line item. It only raises the tax levy. The way to do what you suggest is to pass a budget in excess of the levy and then have an override vote to support the tax base. The challenge is that there is no guarantee that the town meeting will not transfer the money to other departments in the future.
Well Stated
Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:18 am  halajko
Well put Tom. Thats why we need to have confidence and trust in our elected officials to put the monies to where the people of the town want it.
Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:44 am  seek2mend
Yes. We could override now, add firefighters and then be forced to lay them off months later when the town would be expected to honor the 65/35 split.

However, Tom, I am not so sure about the *need*. As long as the high school pool is still "business as usual* AND I am not convinced that it is self sustaining, I would never support an override.

Secondly, I think we have one of the few school departments that has no fees for transportation, parking or sports. Of course this is something to be proud of. But, IMO, it is ludicrous to suggest that the BOS should come to the trough for ANY department while things go along *swimmingly* for the school dept.

In addition, while other towns are faced with slashing budgets, personnel, and salaries, we found money to give pretty decent salary increases on the town and school side. We just passed the burden of the CPA and the trash fee is increasing. Sales taxes are going up and the exemption for liquor was removed. Not that long ago the state slapped another $1.00 tax on cigerettes. Let's not even think about what is being done at the federal level. Am I the only one who thinks under these circumstances, an override is adding insult to injury?
Public Safety
Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 am  halajko
Its just concerning as a residents for over 30 years, that when our public safety officials are stating we need more staff there is nothing that can be done. Frustrating but your points are well taken.
Dave
Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:36 pm  Dave
Valid concern.

There was an interesting discussion on this subject towards the end of the latest point of view. Mitch and I were guests and it was IMHO a good set of discussions ranging from town side and school side issues.

You can watch it here;

Point of View

When it comes to the pool I am happy to say that we are just about done on breaking down the income versus expenses. Once it comes before the full committee I will be more than happy to comment on it but my goal as an individual is ensuring that the expenses are covered for time used.
mkreyssig
Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:52 pm  mkreyssig
As I posted in another thread: I thought the isue wasn't the amount of Fire Fighters, but where they started from. If the issue is that we need more fire fighter, than let's forgo a new station and higher more figher fighter. I'm sure that state of the art fire station we have can handle it.

If the issue is that when a call comes in on the north end and it takes to long to get their from the RT44, then build another fire station and relocate the existing fire personnel as necessary.

Otherwise all this Banna fire station is; is a bait and switch tactic being pulled on us.
Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:09 am  seek2mend
Dave wrote:

When it comes to the pool I am happy to say that we are just about done on breaking down the income versus expenses. Once it comes before the full committee I will be more than happy to comment on it but my goal as an individual is ensuring that the expenses are covered for time used.

With all due respect, that's a beginning. But when it comes to a pool, I would think *time used* isn't much more costly than idle time. And I would bet that the pool remains idle far more than it is used. And in my world, that make it a money pit and should be on the bottom of the list of priorities for the school and the town.
Dave
Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:51 am  Dave
My comment is in the context that, like a business, there are only so many available rental hours per week to generate income sufficient to cover the expenses.

So when I say paying for time used it is in fact based on a formula of 12 to 15 hours of rent to cover 24 hours of expenses. For example USA skates does not base their charges on a 24 hour clock as they are not open 24 hours. This is a hot button topic and I do not see it as a low priority. We need to be able to show that the rental time (or use time) covers the TOTAL expenses.

We are fine tuning a new facilities policy that should address many of the past concerns. I will keep everyone updated as more information becomes available, however I am only speaking as an individual until certain actions are finalized.

D
Post   Sponsored content

Common Sense

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Seekonk Talks :: Local Seekonk Topics-
Jump to:  

Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com