The Banna Fire Station Saga - Page 2

Seekonk Talks

This forum is a place to discuss all things Seekonk. We are not affiliated with the Town of Seekonk.
HomeGalleryRegisterLog in
December 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Newspapers

Share | 

The Banna Fire Station Saga

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mkreyssig

PostThe Banna Fire Station Saga

I couldn't stick around for the Fire Chief portion of the BOS meeting last week, so i got the details in the Seekonk Star Article today. I am a little perplexed at the Chiefs statement that he will need an additional 8 Fire Fighters to staff that station.

I didn't think the issue with fire coverage was that we did not have enough fire fighters. I thought the issue was where they started from. Can't they just be spread out among the two stations?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://home.comcast.net/~mkreyssig/site/

Similar topics

-
» Fire Emblem: Awakening impressions
» Death of Fire Emblem : Twin Blades?
» Fire Emblem Fanatics
» Review: Mario And Luigi: Superstar Saga (Wii U VC)
» Fire Emblem: Death or Glory
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

The Banna Fire Station Saga :: Comments

Re: The Banna Fire Station Saga
Post on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:06 pm  seek2mend
Unless people are willing to knock on doors, this will pass. Many, many people are unaware of the issues facing our town and will not bother to vote. Those that want it, will be there.

Those of us that pay attention need to be messengers. I don't know what else to say. I think we've said it all.
Post on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:31 pm  tombenoit
I would guess that there will be a LOW turnout. It has been a pretty well kept secret. Although, we may be surprised. I do not think that Precinct 1 (North end) has ever voted in favor of a debt exclusion. If it passes - my bet will be that there will be a warrant article for more money at one of the next town meetings.
Banna Fire Station
Post on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:27 pm  normanrc
I have read with interest the postings re:
Banna fire station. I noted several misconceptions and contacted
Gary Sagar who with others has spearheaded this proposed project.
Mr. Sagar has asked me to post the following, authored by him.

To all Seekonk voters.
My name is Gary Sagar. I was asked in Jan. 09 by the town administrator
to work with the fire chief on solutions to the North and South end of town for station locations.
If anyone would like to personally speak to me about any issues, please
call me at 508-761-5065.
In reading many of the messages on this site it is apparent that many of
the opinions and statements are derived from misunderstanding of the facts or by taking comments made by the Fire Chief and myself out of
context.
Rather than post a detailed message I invite anyone with questions
on the subject of the Banna station to contact me. Also, there will be
an open house on Sunday August 30th from 6 p.m to 8 p.m at the station. All are asked to attend, tour the facility and ask any and all
questions.
Please make an effort to get the TRUE FACTS in advance of the vote
on Monday, August 31st.
Thank You,
Gary Sagar
Post on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:44 pm  Dave
While I think that having the Open House is a great idea and I will consider sending out an e-letter to our members about it, I fail to undertstand why the TRUE FACTS as you stated cannot be posted here for all to digest. The CPA had a great amount of information to discuss here...the same should be the case for this.

Knowlege is power and while everyone has a right to an opinion, you can only form one from the information provided.

my 2,

d
Post on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:58 pm  tombenoit
normanrc wrote:
My name is Gary Sagar. I was asked in Jan. 09 by the town administrator
to work with the fire chief on solutions to the North and South end of town for station locations.
If anyone would like to personally speak to me about any issues, please
call me at 508-761-5065.
In reading many of the messages on this site it is apparent that many of
the opinions and statements are derived from misunderstanding of the facts or by taking comments made by the Fire Chief and myself out of
context.
Rather than post a detailed message I invite anyone with questions
on the subject of the Banna station to contact me. Also, there will be
an open house on Sunday August 30th from 6 p.m to 8 p.m at the station. All are asked to attend, tour the facility and ask any and all
questions.
on Monday, August 31st.
Thank You,
Gary Sagar

I will be trying to attend the 'Open House' but I believe that the place to answer questions and correct mis-understanding is in the forum in which the questions/mis-understandings appear and not at a hastily arranged, last minute 'Open House'. Additionally; seeing the conditions at the Banna station are not the issue to me. I am sure they are as out of date at the station was on Newman avenue. My principal question is - What is the problem? How did we get here? What is the total solution? How do we get there?
Post on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:09 pm  seek2mend
tombenoit wrote:
normanrc wrote:

on Monday, August 31st.
Thank You,
Gary Sagar

I will be trying to attend the 'Open House' but I believe that the place to answer questions and correct mis-understanding is in the forum in which the questions/mis-understandings appear and not at a hastily arranged, last minute 'Open House'. Additionally; seeing the conditions at the Banna station are not the issue to me. I am sure they are as out of date at the station was on Newman avenue. My principal question is - What is the problem? How did we get here? What is the total solution? How do we get there?

I agree, Tom. I don't think I have read much more than opinions, alternatives, and maybe some critcisms. I think one contributor listed some facts. But if Mr Sagar or the fire chief wants to challenge that person, he should do it right here. Personally, I have seen enough sales pitches.
Banna Station
Post on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:21 pm  normanrc
In my post of today, Aug. 27th I incorrectly
stated the hours for the Banna station open
house as 5 to 8 p.m. Sunday Aug 30.
The correct hours are 6 to 8 p.m.
Sorry for the error
Post on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:46 pm  terrybohax
Voter Turn out has been very low today in all precincts except the North precinct.
Post on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:39 pm  seek2mend
I figured as much, Terry. I'll be headin' out soon.

I hope my instincts are wrong. But I stand by my belief that this will pass. My reasons are the same as they were for the CPA. One centralized polling place for this "great, big, giant 19 mile long town" is not enough. Mad
Post on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:53 pm  tombenoit
terrybohax wrote:
Voter Turn out has been very low today in all precincts except the North precinct.

I just voted at 5:15. Precincts 2, 3, 4 had a combined 266 votes cast (my precinct 4 only had 57). Precinct 1 had 262 votes cast. If precinct 1 votes in favor of this - I believe it will be the first time that precinct has voted in favor of any override or exclusion (i could be wrong). The unfortunate thing will be that they probably believe that for the $750,000 they will actually get full time staff at the station as wellas teh rebuilt station with a community room.
Post on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:01 pm  seek2mend
Tom, I think there is an angry bunch up north. They lost a school and a fire station.

This vote is emotional, not logical.
Post on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:13 pm  terrybohax
Quote :
The unfortunate thing will be that they probably believe that for the $750,000 they will actually get full time staff at the station as well as the rebuilt station with a community room.

The Yes vote won by 34 votes today. Tom, I agree with your observation. But I think this is just Pha$e 1 of 4.
Pha$e 1 - Renovate the Banna $tation
Pha$e 2 - Hire new firefighters to staff Banna $tation 24/7
Pha$e 3 - Renovate a $outh- end location for a fire $tation
Pha$e 4 - Hire new firefighters to staff South-end $tation.

I'd love to dig up the old propaganda that was used to get the voters to vote for the centralized combined police/fire complex. I'll bet there's a FLAWED study that shows that emergency vehicles can reach each end of town within a short time. Mad And save on staffing by consolidating the fire personnel.

I'm so tired of ego-driven building committees that manipulate the facts in favor of their pet project. I will NEVER vote for a senior center because I doubt that enough people will commute to it from all over Seekonk.
Post on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:49 am  seek2mend
You are so right, Terry. This is a terrible shame. 34 votes.

According to the Sun, the North end precinct turned out 398 voters and approved the question by a 3-1 margin. All 3 other prescincts disapproved. Hopefully, we will get the results by prescinct sooner rather than later. Like I said before, the numbers tell a story.

To put it mildly the BOS, TOWN ADMINISTRATOR and TOWN CLERK acted STUPIDLY by consolidating the polls at the high school. Which brings me to my next topic.
Evil or Very Mad
Post on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:49 am  newresident
"I'd love to dig up the old propaganda that was used to get the voters to vote for the centralized combined police/fire complex. I'll bet there's a FLAWED study that shows that emergency vehicles can reach each end of town within a short time. Mad And save on staffing by consolidating the fire personnel"

The last study was done in 2000. It recommended against a centralized fire station; it suggested a two station system in which the north station (banna station) would eventually be closed and moved to a point further south. it seems they ignored the study altogether. there were a few BOS meetings in march/april in which the study was cited as the justification for renovating the north station....once we read the study though, it was suddenly outdated and no longer relevant. the study says the north station is too far north to provide adequate coverage.

we voted last night and walked around encouraging our neighbors to do so as well. half of them didn't even know what the vote was for. really disappointing.
Post on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:43 pm  newresident
New Zoning Board hearing regarding the Banna Fire Station on Monday Night, December 14th, 7pm.
Post   Sponsored content

The Banna Fire Station Saga

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Seekonk Talks :: Local Seekonk Topics-
Jump to:  

Free forum | Computers and Internet | Software | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Create a forum on Forumotion